Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fireproof Marriage

On a Valentine's Day weekend, my parish promoted married life by showing a movie called 'Fireproof Marriage', starred by Kirk Cameron and Erin Bethea. We shared some popcorn, wine, and cheese for the social night. It was fun!

There are several of my favorite scenes:
1. He Said/ She Said
2. The Train is Coming!
3. Salt and Pepper Shakers
4. The Cross
5. Breaking Free
6. Caleb's Apology

What triggers me most to think deeply about my marriage life is that the power of unconditional love. How do we find God as the center of our marriage?

I hardly say anything that is easy to achieve. Our marriage life has been very young for about one and half year. We are building our new home, planning for shared career stability, and getting ready for children in the near future. Finding God is in our relationship means to pray together, help one another, and sacrifice for one another.

In the movie, Caleb says that you should never leave your partner behind in the fire as a firefighter. Same as in marriage, we never leave our partner behind when there are challenges and difficulties in marriage life. We always have to work at helping one another to better the lives together.

As a woman, it is often challenging to understand what it means for man to appreciate a sense of respect. As a man, it is often challenging to understand what it means for woman to appreciate a sense of emotional stability. The kind of love that drives man and woman together is special, faithful, and holy. They turn to one another for every aspect of life support.

My father became widowed at a relatively embarrassing age of 65. It was difficult for him because his life support was plugged out when my mother passed away. However, the love of my parents remain in the family as my brother and I share insights about life that family come together no matter being fat or thin. For men fully embracing the concept of marriage is like talking French when they only know English, they come to rescue when crises arise and remain dormant when life may show growing signs of stability. Their emotion is deeply rooted in the achievement of social status, which ultimately defines who they are by their profession, instead of being what kind of person he is.

As a woman, I say for the ladies that our emotion is deeply rooted to the bonding that we share as husband and wife through anything in life. As the bride and groom come together, they come to share the body and blood of Christ together for building up the family and the church. They serve each other and care for one another without calculations. Instead of shooting bullets to one another firing the biggest war of the century, husband and wife transform into One Body to promote 'bulletproof' peace.

I hope that throughout the journey of marriage that this movie would constantly remind me of God's love to the source of strength and support to any challenges that we will encounter as a couple. As a Catholic, I would highly encourage all of you to be open to the teachings of 'Theology of the Body' - specifically how to be faithful to God and His given spouse to us!

As older people from time to time would love to tease me about marriage, I should always answer, 'I want NO DIVORCE - NONE!! PERIOD.' For husbands making a couple of little careless mistakes, wives are able to forgive and move on. Anybody cheats... period. I just wish to stay pure, healthy, and faithful in a holy marital union =)

No comments: